Auto Chart User Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any tips for shallow water mapping?

5 posters

Go down

Any tips for shallow water mapping? Empty Any tips for shallow water mapping?

Post by KYO Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:13 am

I tried mapping some sections of the river last week. Autochart seems to work okay for the deeper sections, but the shallow sections get screwed up (3 ft or less). Some sections that I know are 3 ft, show up as 20 ft deep or more. Is there a setting on my 1198 that I can adjust (or a different beam to use) to get more accuracy? Or is there a way to manually edit an Autochart map after it is generated to correct for errors.

I'm just looking for a way to map out where the deep holes start and end in a river.

Thanks in advance!

KYO

Back to top Go down

Any tips for shallow water mapping? Empty Re: Any tips for shallow water mapping?

Post by Humminbird_greg Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:51 pm

Was your 1198 tracking the bottom correctly at these locations or did it start showing 20+ feet deep also?

Humminbird_greg

Back to top Go down

Any tips for shallow water mapping? Empty Re: Any tips for shallow water mapping?

Post by KYO Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:30 pm

I figured out a solution here. Basically, there are random errors in the Tracks file when you get too shallow (3ft) or less. So you can manually go into the track (right click a track and select "Trace Route") and edit and delete any erroneous readings.

KYO

Back to top Go down

Post by EricM Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for the info.
EricM
EricM

Back to top Go down

Post by DougV Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Watch the sonar data, especially if using Switchfire Max Mode. I would recommend Switchfire Clear in shallow water...sometimes you get very strong returns and wil lget double or triple echos and the Sonar Depth Number will read the multiple return.
DougV
DougV
Admin

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerryd15 Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 pm

I believe increasing your surface clutter in the menu will help with not getting the false reading. I had some 1100ft holes in 3 foot of water. it does make for a cool 3D image.

Kerryd15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down