Auto Chart User Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recording "Swath"

2 posters

Go down

Recording "Swath" Empty Recording "Swath"

Post by adampauls87 Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Just got a question to those in "the know." When making a recording, I know it is using my side and down imaging etc. My question is to the width of the "swath." Is it always a standard width or does it change as to the distance I have my side imaging set to see?
Ex) I have my side imaging on my Humminbird 999 set to view 55ft to each side for detail, is the width of my sonar recording now 110ft? Or does it always use the full range of 240ft to each side or is some other constant? Knowing the distance would help me make a more complete map first time around.
Thanks guys.

adampauls87

Back to top Go down

Recording "Swath" Empty Width

Post by jdw2u Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:59 am

The autochart only uses 2d sonar to create the maps, so the width is actually affected by the depth. Your SI recordings for overlay's will only record to the width you have the graph set to.

jdw2u

Back to top Go down

Recording "Swath" Empty Re: Recording "Swath"

Post by adampauls87 Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Hmmmm not sure if that makes sense though because the width of the recording seams to be the same in shallow water as it does in deep water. I had a recording where I went from about 5 feet of water down to 20 and the recorded beam stayed at the same width. So in this case I don't think it is affected by the depth. From what I had previously understood it is using the side and down imaging for the recording, that is how it is able to get a pretty wide recording. It couldn't do that using the standard sonar that sends a 60 degree cone or whatever.

adampauls87

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoHunter Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 pm

No.

AutoChart ONLY uses traditional 2D 200khz sonar, when making maps. Your unit basically logs a data point of your boat position, which includes latitude, longitude, and depth. Depth is acquired from your traditional sonar. For autochart purposes, a sonar recording saves a BUNCH of data points all along your boat path.

The only thing autochart uses side imaging for, is to create a side imaging mosaic. As mentioned, it only records out to the width you have set in your depthfinder.

Autochart does not use down imaging for anything.

Hope that helps.

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by adampauls87 Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the answers. As the same time I posted this I also sent Humminbird an email with my question and I finally got a response from them. Here is what I got:
"When your are in the record mode it always depends on what you have your side imaging view set to for the distance that will be recorded. Yes just what you said if your side imaging is set to 50ft this will be the distance that is being recorded. Once you start recording you are not able to change the distance. "
To me this conflicts with what guys have said on here but makes more sense. I've been in 4 ft of water and had a recording about 100 feet wide which just wouldn't be possible if it was using the traditional come from the 2D sonar. Hope that helps people out as it helped me.
Thanks

adampauls87

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoHunter Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Yes, it will record the SIDE IMAGING out 100feet. But that does not include any depths out there. ONLY the imaging. As I said before, the only place you acquire DEPTH is directly under the boat. The depthfinder gets the DEPTH reading from the 2D sonar.

Simply,
to create contour maps, Autochart uses 2D sonar.
to create SI mosaic maps, Autochart uses the Side Imaging from sonar recordings.

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down