Auto Chart User Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Importing .KML files from Google Earth

5 posters

Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty Importing .KML files from Google Earth

Post by Judecca Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I choose to trace out the shoreline of a lake on Google Earth to increase the accuracy of my mapping (the Zero Line on the included card was off in a several places). I then exported the trace as a .KML file from Google Earth & imported into AutoChart Pro to create a shoreline. Here are a couple of lessons I learned the hard way via trial & error:

1. You will be creating a New Path in Google Earth. Begin your shoreline trace at the Northern most point of the body of water and 1st trace down the Western shoreline. Follow the shoreline moving towards the South, eventually making your way back North as you work up the Eastern shoreline, eventually meeting back up with the point at which you started.
2. Once your .KML file is complete, open AutoChart. Under the 'File' tab, select the Import/Convert' option while holding the 'Ctrl' key. (Nowhere is this documented, but you must hold the 'Ctrl' key on your keyboard when you are importing the .KML file for your shoreline.) Then browse to your .KML file & select it.
3. You will be prompted by a pop-up window to 'Set Data Type' You'll want to select the circle under 'Lines' - 'Shore' - 'Loop, water to the right'.

You should now have a defined shoreline and all of your depth mapping data will be confined by your new shoreline. If you need to edit this data or add features such as islands or docks that weren't included in your original Path trace, you can do so by selecting 'Tools' then 'Edit Data'. Data points can be deleted, or you may draw lines by selecting 'Tools' then 'Draw Lines'.
- GoTeamFishing @ gmail.com
:

Judecca

Back to top Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty Re: Importing .KML files from Google Earth

Post by CamoHunter Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Good tips Judecca. I posted a few tutorials on other common Autochart tasks. I'll try to put one together for creating and editing custom shoreline data in the near future.

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty Re: Importing .KML files from Google Earth

Post by Admin Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Great Tip! cheers

Admin
Admin

https://autochart.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty Convert *son files to GIS or Google Earth .kmz/.kml

Post by Claz12 Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:05 am

Hi,
can you provide any advice as to how I can convert autochart pro files into a GIS format (ArcGIS, ESRI) or into .kmz file type for export?
Thanks

Claz12

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoHunter Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:54 am

I don't know of any method to convert autochart files to GIS or Google Earth format right now. I might have to play around with that at some point.

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Claz12 Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:22 am

No worries! Thanks for the response.

Claz12

Back to top Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty inserting contours as a kml into google earth

Post by bzf Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm sure you have this figured out already. Under tools create contour lines then when the 2nd menu pops up in the top right you can click on a kml format. Problem I'm having is the white background comes with and covers up the aerial view any thoughts?

bzf

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoHunter Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Not sure what you're talking about. Please explain more clearly.

Are you in AutoChart that you're talking about Tools -> Create Contour Lines?

Then, are you saying in Google Earth, the white background appears, or are you talking about something still in AutoChart?

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by bzf Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:41 am

Yes, when you choose create contour lines under the tools drop down, the next window that pops up in the top right corner choose a kml file and the file you create and insert into google earth brings with the white background and not just the contour lines

bzf

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoHunter Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:24 am

I was playing around with that last night a little bit. I never did get it to work properly and bring in the contour lines. But I didn't get the white background that you mention either.

I'll have to do a little more experimenting with this to see if I can get it to work right.

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty inserting into google earth

Post by bzf Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:52 am

Sorry about the confusion its in creating map image not creating contours, under the map generator upper right box that says generate calibration file. Sorry about the mix up on my part. Also im only running autochart not pro but don't think that's the issue.

bzf

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoHunter Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:34 am

Okay, I was messing with that last night too, but not the google earth calibration file. I saw it, but didn't try it.

I'll give it a try tonight and see if mine works and what you need to do if mine does work.

CamoHunter

Back to top Go down

Importing .KML files from Google Earth Empty Think I got it figured out

Post by bzf Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:26 am

Messed around with it tonight. When I inserted it into google earth as a bit map kml file checked it worked.

bzf

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkhorse Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:42 am

Have any of you guys been able to get a Google earth image to be overlayed on the existing map (lakemaster). The lowrance units can see an at5 folder which has been made by Map Creator ???

Darkhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down